SARATOGA SPRINGS WATER CURE and Hygeienic [sic] Institute. [n.p but possibly Albany, n.d. but ca. 1855].
1855. Single sheet, 200 x 130mm; printed on recto only, some evidence of previous folds, verso a little browned and soiled; a good example. An appealing leaflet promoting the recently established Saratoga Springs Hygienic Institute, ‘now commencing its third year of successful operations’. Norman Bedortha had previously worked with the Joel Shaw at his Lebanon Springs, and in 1849 became one of fifteen hydropathic physicians who founded the American Hydropathic Society. After a brief spell in Troy, New York, Bedortha established his own water cure in Saratoga Springs in 1852, opposite the famous Congress Spring. ‘The Saratoga Water Cure burned to the ground on 4 July 1864, when a carelessly thrown firecracker ignited a curtain. It was rebuilt in 1871 by Bedortha with B. T. Bedortha ... probably his son’ (Atwater 272). The water cure provided separate baths for ladies and gentlemen, and also boasted a large gymnastic hall. ‘These arrangements, with the natural advantages of the place, make this one of the most delightful places in the world for such an Institution’. The leaflet also notes that Dr. Robert Hamilton is now in residence to treat female diseases. See Atwater 272 and 273 for copies of his published work ‘Practical Medication’ of 1860 and 1866, printed in Albany; OCLC locates that Rochester also hold another printed leaf, ‘Dr. N. Bedortha's bath directions’ ca. 1857 and filled out with the name of a patient.