DR WILLIAMS’ ELECTRIC MEDICATED PADS and appliances. For the cure of Chronic Diseases. Made only by The Electric Pad Mfg Co., Brooklyn, N.Y. ca. 1885.
1885. Small 12mo, pp. 32; with small portrait of Dr Williams on title page with a number of small woodcut illustrations; together with printed envelope, folding order form, and stamped addressed envelope to a customer; slightly foxed; The medicated pads were apparently discovered in Brazil by Professor V. G Williams of New York, the formulas for which passed into the hands of his son Percy G Williams in 1879. ‘Our pads are not only a cushion of medicine, each one made expressly to act upon the different organs, over which they are worn, but they contain in addition to this a simple but effective miniature electro-galvanic battery. This is acted upon by the drugs in the pad, and thus for the first time in the history of medicine a constant mild flow of electricity is constantly kept up without friction or the application of acids’ (p. 6). Illustrated are appliances for the chest, the liver and stomach, the kidney’s, a ladies pad or uterine appliance, and a ‘suspensory appliance ... a positive and unfailing cure for seminal weakness’.
Condition: stitched as issued, in the original pink printed wrappers, with vignette of store on rear cover, with very small stab mark; a good copy.