ISTRUZIONI PEL MANEGGIO INTERNO DEL REGIO MANICOMIO DI TORINO, compilate dalla giunta creata col regio viglietto 4 luglio 1836, rivedute dalla direzione nominata con r. viglietto 23 maggio 1837, e sanzionate da S.E. il primo segretario di stato per gli affari interni il 16 agosto 1837 a mente del prescritto dell’art. 71 del regolamento organico da S.M. approvato il 20 maggio 1837. Torino, Stamperia Ghiringhello e Comp.
1837. 4to, pp. 138, p. 139 a folding letterpress table,  index and blank; with woodcut title-page stamp of the Confraternita del S. Sudario e della Vergine delle Grazie; some occasional light foxing, with upper corner of final few leaves a little folded and creased, otherwise clean and crisp; in the original printed wrappers, some minor sunning to margins, with a couple of minor marginal nicks and corners furled; a very good copy. Scarce first edition of this set of instructions for the internal management of the Royal Insane Hospital of Turin, providing an insight into the medical, financial, and administrative structure of the organisation. Set out in a series of 495 articles, the internal hierarchy of the institute is revealed and explained, the regulations outlining the roles and responsibilities for the various asylum staff, including the doctors, nurses, pharmacists, nuns, priests, chefs, porters and even the barber.
The official constitution of the asylum dates back to 1728, when King Vittorio Amadeo II entrusted its management to the Confraternity of the Holy Shroud and the Virgin of Graces. The original premises soon became insufficient however, and in 1827 the architect Giuseppe Talucchi (1782-1863) was commissioned to design a new headquarters in via Carlo Ignazio Giulio, for 600 patients. This was inaugurated in 1834, and the present instructions were drawn up and given Royal assent in July 1836, with further revisions final approval given in August 1837. This was effectively when the institution changed from being more of a welfare facility, to a more professionally run, and modern medical centre of expertise, with the doctors assuming a more prominent and powerful role in the management of the asylum. One of the principal physicians was Giovanni Bonacossa (1804-1878), and in 1848, the management requested the establishment of a university chair for the teaching of psychiatry (one of the first in Italy), Bonacossa taking up position in 1850. He is considered to be one of the Italian pioneers in the field of psychiatry, and the Royal Insane Hospital became a leading and important centre for the care of the mentally ill. Management of the Asylum was eventually taken away from the Confraternity in 1890, the organisation becoming an autonomous body free from the religious order. It was finally closed in 1980.
Bibliography: OCLC locates one copy at the University of Turin.